What is the Combination Switch Assembly all about?
A combination switch assembly has several functions. This component is connected to your turn signal indicator and controls all of the functions on the lever. The combination switch assembly adjusts the high and low beams on your headlights, indicates when you are turning left or right, and activates the hazard lights when needed. It turns on the windshield wipers in the front as well as the rear if equipped. The switch also activates the windshield washer fluid.
The switch is located inside the steering column and connects to the lever with multiple wires that run to the various components that the switch controls. When the switch fails, none of the components attached to it will work. However, a faulty switch may work periodically or for some components and not others until it fails completely.
Keep in mind:
- The combination switch assembly activates and adjusts all components attached to the turn signal lever.
- The steering column must be removed to access the switch.
- The combination switch will need to be replaced not repaired.
- The combination switch will vary based on make and model and even year because different controls have been added to the turn signal lever.
How it's done:
- The combination switch assembly is verified that it needs to be replaced. The battery is then disconnected.
- The steering column trim panels are removed for access and the defective combination switch assembly is disconnected and removed.
- The new combination switch assembly is installed and connected.
- The trim panels are reinstalled. The battery is then reconnected and the combination switch assembly is tested for operation.
- The vehicle is road tested to ensure proper operation of the combination switch assembly.
The same symptoms that indicate a failed combination switch assembly may also be caused by other problems such as blown fuses. Have one of our expert mechanics check out the issue and rule out other causes before replacing the combination switch.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Combination Switch Assembly?
- Headlights won’t adjust from high to low beam or vice-versa
- Turn signals fail to operate
- Windshield wipers won’t turn on or washer fluid isn’t activated
How important is this service?
If the combination switch assembly stops working, you won’t be able to drive after dark because the headlights won’t come on. You could also get a traffic violation for failing to signal when turning or even cause an accident. Have it inspected and replaced if necessary as soon as possible.